Information subject to change, and comes courtesy of several resources, including Wikipedia. Harbor Light Realty assumes no responsibility for the accuracy or timeliness of the following.
Incorporated in 1766 and named after Sir Jacob Acworth, an English Admiral with interests in Portsmouth shipping. The town is located on the southern shore of Crescent Lake. Acworth's Meeting House, built in 1821 and now the Congregational Church, and the Acworth Silsby Library are on the National Register of Historic Places.
View Acworth Website
View Acworth Real Estate
View Claremont Website
Incorporated in 1763 and named after a suburb of London, England, Croydon shares a town line with Sunapee, Grantham, Springfield and Newport. It is the home of numerous lakes and ponds including Loon Lake, Lake Coniston, Rockybound Pond, Spectacle Pond and Red Leaf Pond.
View Croydon Website
View Croydon Real Estate
Incorporated in 1791 and probably named after Goshen, Conneticut. Goshen is also the home to Gunnison Lake AKA "the Goshen Ocean." The Ruth LeClair Memorial Trail is a 3 mile loop around the lake.
View Goshen Website
View Goshen Real Estate
Chartered in 1761, Grantham is the home of the Center at Eastman. It has an 18 hole golf course, a 325 acre lake, 13 tennis courts and 30 kilometers of trails. Except for the lake, access to these amenities is limited for the residents of Grantham.
View Grantham Website
View Grantham Real Estate
Incorporated in 1762 and was first granted as 9th in line of forts to guard against Indian attacks. Lempster is also the home to New Hampshire's first wind farm. In 2008, a total of 12 turbines went into operation on Bean Mountain.
View Lempster Website
View Lempster Real Estate
Incorporated in 1761 and named for Henry Newport, a distinguished English soldier and statesman. Newport is also the Sullivan County seat and was chosen over all New England towns to host the New England Artists Trust Congress.
View Newport Website
View Newport Real Estate
View Springfield Website
Incorporated in 1781, Sunapee, Lake Sunapee and Mount Sunapee share the name that comes from the Algonquian Indian words 'Suna' meaning goose and 'apee' meaning lake. Wendell and Georges Mills are villages in Sunapee. The town was the birthplace of the rock band
View Sunapee Website
View Sunapee Real Estate
Incorporated in 1764. On June 27, 2009, President Obama and former rival Hillary Clinton appeared together in Unity at their first joint public event after Clinton had ended her campaign. The town was reportedly chosen for its name. During the 2008 primary, Obama and Clinton each received 107 votes from the citizens of Unity.
View Unity Website
View Unity Real Estate
Incorporated in 1776 and named after George Washington, the first town named in his honor. The Seventh Day Adventist faith had it's origins here in 1840. Washington is home to Ashuelot Pond (429Acres), Island Pond (202Acres) Highland Lake (192 Acres within Washington, Millen Pond (148 Acres) and Half Moon Pond (130 Acres).
View Washington Website
Incorporated in 1779 this town is home to Ragged Mt. State Forest and Proctor Academy, a private co-ed prep school of national repute. Here you will discover two covered bridges and Potter Place railroad station, built in 1874 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Andover is 90 miles north of Boston and 25 miles northwest of Concord.
View Andover Website
View Andover Real Estate
Incorporated in 1787, just nine days after the constitution was adopted. This town is home to two lakes: Massasecum and the southern tip of Todd. It is also home to fourteen of New Hampshire's tallest (and still growing!) white pines.
View Bradford Website
View Bradford Real Estate
Incorporated in 1779 and officially named after London, England. Located south of Hanover and north of Concord, exits 11 and 12 off Interstate 89. New London is home of Colby-Sawyer College, New London Hospital and New London Barn Playhouse. This town is home to two lakes, Little Sunapee and Pleasant plus some of the eastern shore of Lake Sunapee.
View New London Website
Incorporated in 1837, Newbury is located on the Southern tip of Lake Sunapee. It is home to Blodgetts Landing, Mt. Sunapee State Beach, Mt. Sunapee Ski area, Lake Todd and The Fells Historic Estate & Gardens site, adjacent to the John Hay National Wildlife Refuge.
View Newbury Website
View Newbury Real Estate
Incorporated in 1784 and located 25 miles northwest of Concord with easy access to Interstate 89 and Route 114. Sutton is home to Wadleigh State Park, Kezar Lake, Gile Pond, Blaisdell Lake, and Newbury Reservoir.
View Sutton Website
View Sutton Real Estate
Incorporated in 1774, this town was one of the last settled under English provincial rule prior to the revolution. Warner is home to Northeast Catholic College, Rollins State Park and Mt. Kearsarge State Forest.
View Warner Website
View Warner Real Estate
Incorporated in 1794, Wilmot is home to Winslow State Park and a small part of Gile State Forest. The 2,931-foot Mount Kearsarge, on the southeast border, is the highest point in town. Winslow State Park, at the north foot of the Mountain, provides access to two hiking trails to the summit.
View Wilmot Website
View Wilmot Real Estate
Granted in 1753 by the Masonian Proprietors and named for Alexandria, Virginia, location of 1755 conference of governors early in the French and Indian War. Alexandria is home of Mowglis Mountain, the hero in Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Book, and Welton Falls State Forest.
View Alexandria Website
Ashland was once the southwestern corner of Holderness. It was chartered in 1751 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth. Hostilities during the French and Indian War delayed settlement. In 1761, it was regranted as "New Holderness" (although "New" would be dropped in 1816). Settled in 1763, the town was predominantly agricultural except for Holderness Village. Holderness Village became Ashland, named for the Kentucky estate of Henry Clay, in 1868. Today, Ashland is a residential and resort community.
View Ashland Website
View Ashland Real Estate
Is home to Wellington State Park, Sugar Hill State Forest, and Profile Falls on the Smith River. Extensive deposits of fine sand or clay similar to the "Bristol sand" used in Bristol, England, to make fine china and pottery, gave the town its name. Here the sand was used to make a superior quality brick, marketed as Bristol Brick. Surrounded by hills and lakes, Bristol includes the lower two-thirds of Newfound Lake, a resort area.
View Bristol Website
View Bristol Real Estate
Chartered in 1761 by Governor Benning Wentworth and named after the hometown of many early settlers from Canaan, Connecticut, which was named for the biblical land of Canaan. In 1847, the Northern Railroad (predecessor of the Boston & Maine Railroad) was constructed to the town driving development. By 1859, the population had reached 1,682 and Canaan had one gristmill, three lath and clapboard mills, and one tannery.
View Canaan Website
View Canaan Real Estate
Was first named by settlers from Enfield, Connecticut in 1761. In 1766, the name changed to "Relhan", to honor Dr. Anthony Relhan, the doctor who was a promoter of sea-bathing as healing. In 1784, following the American Revolution, the name was changed back to Enfield. Enfield Shaker Village, established in 1793 and called Chosen Vale, was subdivided into several "Families", with men and women leading pious, celibate, and industrious lives. Jubilant singing and dancing was part of their worship which earned them the name: Shaking Quakers, or Shakers.
View Enfield Website
View Enfield Real Estate
Was incorporated in 1778 and takes its name from Augustus FitzRoy, 3rd Duke of Grafton, a relative of colonial governor Benning Wentworth. Grafton's economic base included farming, small-scale industry, and mining. There were several mica mines and granite quarries in the area, most notably, Ruggles Mine. The highest point in Grafton is Melvin Mountain's summit at 2,177 feet above sea level.
View Grafton Website
View Grafton Real Estate
Was originally named Cockermouth, in honor of Charles Wyndham, Baron Cockermouth and Earl of Egremont, who was Great Britain's Secretary of State for the Southern Department from 1761 to 1763. Due to non-settlement the land was regranted in 1766, then renewed in 1772. In 1796, one of the later grantees, Samuel Blood, succeeded in renaming the town after his hometown Groton, Massachusetts.
Although the surface area of Groton was not level, the farmers found the soil perfect for growing corn and potatoes. A branch of the Baker River and several small streams fed Newfound Lake and provided power for the many mills and shingle and clapboard manufacturer. Palermo Mine in North Groton is noted for it's minerals but not open to the public.
View Groton Website
View Groton Real Estate
Was first settled in 1765. Hebron was incorporated in 1792 from a portion of Cockermouth (now Groton) combined with a portion of what was then called West Plymouth. Hebron is located at the north end of Newfound Lake, the fourth largest lake in New Hampshire. The highest point in Hebron is a knob with an elevation of 2,240 feet above sea level, just south of the summit of Tenney Mountain, near the town's northernmost point.
View Hebron Website
View Hebron Real Estate
An agricultural and resort area, Holderness is home to the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center and is located on Squam Lake. Tourists in the 19th century would depart the train in Ashland and board a steamer, which traveled up the Squam River to rustic fishing camps or hillside hotels beside Squam Lake.
Today, Holderness remains a popular resort area, where in 1981 the movie On Golden Pond was filmed.
View Holderness Website
Is located in western New Hampshire, near the Connecticut River, south of Hanover and is home to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center as well as Dartmouth Medical School. Lebanon has a mixed economy based on education, medical services, high-technology, and retail. The town has made improvements to its recreational facilities, including miles of hiking trails, a municipal ski area, and several sports fields.
Don't miss Lebanon's seasonal Farmer's Market and summer concerts on the green in the village!
View Lebanon Website
View Lebanon Real Estate
Was granted in 1769, incorporated in 1790, and originally named "Cardigan", after Geroge Brudenell, fourth Earl of Cardigan. After the American Revolution, voters attempted to rename the town many different names and finally settled on Orange, after the large quantities of yellow-orange ochre found in Mount Cardigan. The highest point in Orange, at 3,155 feet above sea level, is Mount Cardigan.
View Orange Website
View Orange Real Estate
Is a town located in the White Mountains Region at the convergence of the Pemigewasset and Baker Rivers. Plymouth was originally the site of an Abernaki village that was burned to the ground by Captain Thomas Baker in 1712. This was just one of the many British raids on American Indian settlements during Queen Anne's War. The town was first named New Plymouth, after the original Plymouth Colony in Massachusetts. Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth granted Plymouth to settlers from Hollis, all of whom had been soldiers in the French and Indian War. The town was incorporated in 1763.
View Plymouth Website
View Plymouth Real Estate